- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350 g eggplant, trimmed, finely diced (about 1 cm)
- 600 ml tomato passata sauce*
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250 g wholemeal spaghetti
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 50 g reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 25 g wild rocket leaves
* Passata is a special formulation of pureed tomatoes and can be found with the pasta sauces in your supermarket.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Increase to medium-high. Add eggplant. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, stock and basil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until eggplant is tender. Stir through cherry tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, then drain and return to pan.
- Add eggplant mixture to spaghetti. Gently toss to combine over low heat. Spoon onto serving plates. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and feta. Serve with wild rocket.
PER SERVE: 1530 kJ (365 cal). Protein 13 g. Total fat 14 g. Saturated fat 2 g. Carbohydrate 42 g. Total sugars 6 g. Sodium 150 mg. Potassium 675 mg. Calcium 115 mg. Iron 3.5 mg. Fibre 10 g.