- 2 cups pecan nuts
- 2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 200 g pitted medjool dates (approx 10 large dates with pips removed)
- 4 extra pecan nuts, broken into 6 pieces each, for garnishing
- Place pecan nuts in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add dates and grated ginger. Continue processing until combined and a doughy mixture starts to form.
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Divide mixture into four and roll the contents of each quarter into 6 walnut-sized balls. (Moistening hands with water will make mixture less sticky.)
- Place balls onto an ungreased baking tray and press down one piece of pecan nut in the middle of each drop to garnish. Gently press mixture back together around the sides if the balls appear to be splitting, before placing in the oven. Balls will not spread when baking so they can be placed close together.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes using the upper rack until golden brown. Makes 24 drops.
PER SERVE: 576 kJ (138 cal). Protein 2 g. Total fat 12 g. Saturated fat 1 g. Carbohydrate 6 g. Cholesterol 0 mg. Calcium 12 mg. Iron 1 mg. Fibre 2 g.