- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- shake of cayenne pepper
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and roughly sliced into 1 cm rings
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and roughly sliced into 1 cm rings
- 1.25 litres of chicken-style all vegetable stock
- juice of 1 orange
- salt, to taste
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add ginger, spices and cayenne pepper and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato and stock, cover with lid and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer half covered for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Puree the contents until smooth and stir through orange juice. Season with salt to taste, adding a little more boiling water if you desire a thinner consistency.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with coriander.
Tip: Make an instant stock by dissolving two stock cubes in 1.25 litres of water.
PER SERVE: 405 kJ (97 cal). Protein 2 g. Total fat 5 g. Saturated fat 1 g. Carbohydrate 12 g. Cholesterol 0 mg. Calcium 54 mg. Iron 1 mg. Fibre 5 g.